Friday, September 7, 2012

My Marriage


I have been thinking about marriage lately, how decisions are made, the consequences of those decisions. Luke and I have been married for four years now and it was a particular milestone for me. My previous marriage was only three years and for some reason it seemed longer, I know that is because with Luke we are so great together that time seems to slow. Hopefully that is a great thing seeing as we will have the opportunity to be a team for the rest of time and time beyond. I have been thinking of the reasons people choose to leave, some times it is both parties who decide to part. Others make their choice that leaves the other partner to make their decisions based on the others choice.
It is interesting that in the beginning both people chose to be together in most cases in my families chose forever....and regretfully (or not) decided against it.

I do not want to be one of those people who offend others, divorce either wanted or not is a death (of a marriage) for which no one sends flowers. However, I do reserve the right to say that in the end there is usually one person who wants it to work puts forth the effort and to no avail. Hopefully there are no children who will suffer at the choices of those who are bestowed the gift of parenting them, unlikely of course. They are the true martyrs.I do not need to take another class or see more research statistics to know what I can see with my own eyes, in most cases they are not better of with "happily" separated and divorced parents.
There is a great talk that resonated with me and hopefully gives insight to all who read it divorced or trying to relate to divorce.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/04/divorce?lang=eng
I also did my senior socioloy thesis on the topic of divorce within the LDS faith. I might post it later.

There was a particular experience with a guy friend of mine who asked me if it had been an issue, my (physical) past with someone else. I should have said then and I will share now that Luke loves me and when you love someone, like the song says
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CEW6XNtrVc&playnext=1&list=PLE954FDC465F04B70&feature=results_video
you want the rest of your life to start as soon as it can. Luke had the maturity and Christ like love to understand that he didn't care about those few years of my life, but that he wanted to be the person I was with the rest of our lives and the next. Who wouldn't want the promise of eternity, seems like the better end of the deal ?! And that childish, selfish mentality of I want what someone else had,  that he didn't display helped me realize what kind of a husband Luke was going to be.

I thought of how my experience lead me to the place I had to be to meet Luke and just in time for him to fall in love with me, he said "I think I love you" first :)
My experience was difficult BUT lead to the best reward I could ever have imagined, at the time I actually couldn't have imagined what Heavenly Father had in store for me. I know that Luke and I were meant to be together, through various experiences I will choose not to share here, he is my soul's best friend!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and love you both so much! You are absolutely perfect together! It's so amazing how things just work out sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that! I would love to read your sociology thesis (no sarcasm or joke) please post!

    ReplyDelete